If we’re keeping it 100, coconut water has an insane range of benefits that you’d never guess upon first glance, or taste. Did you know, for example, that there are several documented instances and research papers on the use of coconut water as IV? The water is what’s known as a clear isotonic, meaning that the “tonicity,” or tension, of the water is not unlike that of a bodily fluid, and applies the same pressure on both sides of a cell membrane.
Here are just some of the benefits that can be found through 100coconuts:
- High in potassium, and low in calories
- It’s naturally sweet, meaning nothing unnecessary or harmful has been added
- Absolutely no fat or cholesterol to speak of
- Coupled with the high potassium, this makes for an excellent post-workout drink to help recovery without all the extra artificial ingredients found in most sports drinks
- Kidney stone prevention!
- As part of a balanced diet, coconut water can help provide some relief to your system, and help flush it out of any excess potassium, chloride, and citrate in urine
- Healthier skin!
- Yeah, coconut water even has links to anti-aging! Recent studies suggest that, due to its antimicrobial properties, coconut water can provide immense aid against acne. By neutralizing the effects of free radicals within the skin, it even helps out our antioxidant systems.
- For diabetics, it may help lower blood sugar
- While it has yet to fully be confirmed with humans, recent studies involving diabetic rats have found that coconut water reduced overall blood glucose.
- Coconut water is also a great source of magnesium, which may help aid insulin sensitivity and reduce blood sugar levels in people with pre-diabetes and type 2 diabetes
- May help reduce risk of heart disease
And before you go, some tips to better enjoy 100coconuts in your day to day life:
- Drink after a workout to help boost your hydration
- Hungry? Drink! Sitting down for a meal? Drink! Low calories means it can be a perfect fit for any meal plan
- Don’t enjoy the taste? Mix it with other drinks and reap the benefits!